Garage doors enhance the overall security of your property but when it shows unusual functions and sounds, it will lose its ability to provide the security you need.
And for the most part, it will leave you vulnerable to break-ins and intrusions.
Many homeowners neglect the basic needs of their garage door until it breaks down on them in the morning while going to an important meeting.
If one of the springs on the garage door has snapped, then you’re in trouble.
A broken garage door torsion spring is one of the most dreaded and complex types of repairs that require technical support as it entails safety risk.
In case you’re in a predicament situation, call your customer-friendly and reliable garage door repairman.
- Set of clamps
- Cordless drill
- Adjustable wrench
- Pair of pliers
- Safety glasses and a pair of leather gloves
- Ratchet/socket set
- Winding bars
Be warned–when winding and unwinding the torsion spring, do not use the handle of pliers or screwdrivers.
If you want to do this task, make sure you will get a quality set of winding bars before you proceed with repairing the broken torsion springs.
Replacing a broken overhead door torsion spring entails safety risk–therefore, proceed with caution.
Additionally, do the following necessary steps to avoid accidents when the tension on the springs is released.
- Disconnect the opener from the door panel by releasing the emergency release button
- Clamp or secure the garage door panel to the tracks
Steps on How to Repair A Broken Garage Door Torsion Spring
- Using the clamp–secure the garage door to the track to avoid opening or closing while you’re in the middle of repairing
- Using two (2) winding bars, slowly loosen the good or unbroken torsion spring
- At the center bracket, disconnect or remove the springs including the bolts and nuts
- Then, slide the spring towards the end brackets
- Using your pliers or vice grip, secure the torsion tube in place
- Loosen the set screws on the right and left of the lifting cable drum and disconnect
- Starting at the left side of the door panel slide the tube (torsion) going to the right to facilitate the removal of the cable drum. Then, remove the broken spring from the tube
- Install the spring (left) and make sure the cone is facing towards the center bracket
- Slide the torsion bar going to the left towards the center bearing
- Install the spring (right) and make sure the cone is facing toward the center bracket
Watch a complete video on how to repair a broken garage door torsion spring, here.
- Replace the rollers, lift cables, and bottom brackets
- Then, run the garage door wire all the way to the door jamb and rollers
- Secure the drums and make sure the tension on the springs are even
- Using the winding bar, slowly wind the door springs tension as recommended by the supplier
- Using the hammer and winding bar, tap and stretch the springs
- Lubricate as necessary
Test the Overhead Door Panel’s Tension Spring
Lift the door panel open just 3 feet above the ground.
If the door panel will remain in its place, the replacement is successful.
However, if the door panel will open on its own, adjust accordingly by turning the tension one-quarter (¼) at a time until the door will remain in its place.
Then, re-attach the door opener.
Don’t put yourself at risk. There’s a line between what we can do and what is out of our expertise.
If you don’t have the skills and training to replace or repair the broken garage door spring, don’t hesitate to give your trustworthy garage door specialist a call.
When you hire experts, they can provide what your garage door truly needs and that is to get fixed and up in no time.
So, entrust your garage door needs to a customer-friendly garage door service provider in Mississauga.
24-Hour Broken Garage Door Spring Repairs in Mississauga
Silver Garage Door Repair offers high-quality, fast, and efficient garage door torsion spring repair at an approachable price.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call today, our garage door repairman team is at your disposal 24/7.
We assure you to come to your assistance at any time of the day for prompt garage door repairs to get your door panel fully operational in no time.
Call us and experience Silver Garage Door Repair’s premium garage door services.