The garage door slides up and down effortlessly through the help of rollers, springs, tracks, and the opener.
Every day, we use our garage as the main entrance and exit of the property since we use it to park our vehicles.
The frequency of use and tension, are just among the many wear the hardware will receive.
And one particular part of the system that receives a substantial amount of wear is the tracks.
That’s why it does not come as a surprise when the door panel will come off its track.
It’s a problem that owners should be prepared for from when the time the panel will come off the track.
Fortunately, you can either do the fixing yourself or ask for an expert technician’s help.
For fast same-day garage door off-track repair, call Silver Garage Doors! We are open 24/7 for repairs and installation anywhere in Mississauga!
What Causes the Door to Derail Off its Track
We all know that garage door malfunction is the most dreaded incident we don’t want to encounter.
To prevent the hardware from malfunctioning at the most inconvenient time, know what the causes are.
So, after getting the overhead door fixed, you will now understand what preventive measures you should do.
- Aging hardware. Aside from the harmful elements, our hardware will shed its life after a long time.
The tension and friction during operation will likely cause the panel to derail off its tracks.
- Frayed or worn-out cable. Again, frequent use can cause friction between moving parts.
So, when it has reached its limit, it will snap causing the mechanical door to malfunction.
- Not enough lubrication on moving parts. Lubrication is the key to fully functional hardware.
If you ignore the moving parts particularly the rollers, it will lose its grease and eventually cause friction.
As a result, the panel will have a hard time lowering or lifting the panel.
In keeping the hardware functional and seamless, always provide it with proper preventive measures.
These measures come in the form of removal of dust particles, regular greasing, and tightening of loose parts.
If you’re looking for technical support on how to fix a garage door off track, simply give us a call anytime!
Fixing A Binding Hardware
Usually, misaligned hardware will bind together.
That’s why it’s difficult to send the panel to lower or lift open.
To fix the issue, you can do the easy-to-follow steps to get it back to its tracks.
1. Loosen or adjust the screws on the track. Usually, the binding is caused by tight screws.
First, locate which part of the track is causing the trouble, then, adjust by loosening the screws using your handy tools. Make sure it’s not too loose to prevent the panel from crashing or derailing (again).
2. Adjust and realign the tracks. This occurs when the door and tracks are too close to each other.
3. Tighten loose parts. Make sure there’s no presence of loose screws after re-aligning the tracks.
Fixing A Rubbing and Gaping Hardware
Aside from a binding issue, an off-track panel could be also caused by the door and molding rubbing to each other. And frequent rubbing may cause gaps at the bottom of the hardware.
To fix the rubbing or gaping issue, you can do the following steps:
- Tighten the bolts. One of the most common reasons for the presence of gaps is loose bolts. Secure and tighten accordingly to fix the issue.
- Adjust the tracks. If step 1 is not the answer to your problem, adjust the tracks until there’s no presence of gaps between the door and molding. Leave a room between the door and molding at around half an inch.
- Adjust the door and tracks. If the molding and door are rubbing against each other, it can be resolved by adjusting the tracks and the door. Then, make sure to secure any loose parts.
One of the best solutions to avoid garage door malfunctions is to give your hardware preventive maintenance regularly.
Usually, routine maintenance should be done twice a year.
But, if you think it’s going to take your time plus the lack of tools makes it impossible for you to pursue, call for experts in Mississauga!
Some overhead door mishaps are manageable with minor adjustments.
Others may require technical skills.
Therefore, know when to fix your hardware and know when to delegate.
We respond to your call 24/7! Our technicians are up and ready to fix your off-track garage door anytime.
Simply give us a call and we will be right at your place to take on the job!