Garage door sensors often get knocked out pretty easily when there are kids or pets around the house going in and out of the garage.
Moreover, what is good about this safety device is that the garage door sensors are easy to put back in place.
Due to the garage door’s mechanism, it can affect the hardware’s components and eventually displacing them.
However, to avoid any malfunctions, always see to it that the garage door receives regular and appropriate maintenance.
Call a trusted garage door repairman that offers fast same-day garage door services in Mississauga.
What Is A Garage Door Sensor?
Garage door sensors are seen aligned on either side of the garage door panel.
The garage door sensors are installed 6 inches above the floor, it’s likely an invisible tripwire since it uses an infrared beam so that when a person’s leg, a child, pet, or the car can be seen at that level.
Why Do You Need A Garage Door Sensor?
Given the weight of the garage door panel along with its mechanism, accidents can happen when you least expect them.
Therefore, to avoid accidents in the future, the federal government mandated a safety regulation that in every automatic garage door, there should be a safety device installed.
And garage door sensors are one of them, to prevent the door panel from closing when it hits an object.
That is one of the main reasons that you need to have a fully functional garage door sensor.
Tips on How to Repair A Broken Garage Door Sensor
First, gently wipe the dirt or dust off the sensors.
If the sensors do not work even after cleaning them – do the following steps listed below:
- Check the wiring between the garage door’s opener and sensors – make sure it’s placed correctly.
- The correct placement of the wires should be the following:
- The white (solid) wires should be connected or inserted into the white terminal
- The black/white wires are connected to the grey terminal.
How to Troubleshoot the Garage Door Sensor
However, in case the problem has not been resolved – test the wires of the sensors accordingly:
- Take the sensors out from the brackets
- Remove the wires from the nuts or at the base of the sensors — cut the sensor wires around 12”
- From each sensor–strip both ends of the wires, twist like colored wires together.
- Then, proceed with both sensors to the garage door opener motor unit.
- At the back of the operator, remove the existing wires from the white and grey terminals.
- Next, locate the white colored wires and plug them into the socket with the same color and black/white striped wires into the grey colored socket.
- Then, have the sensors target each other
- If both the sensors’ LED WILL TURN ON–there is an issue with your wiring.
- The next thing you will do is to replace the wires between the opener and the sensors.
- If the LED WILL NOT TURN ON–replace the sensors.
If you’re not familiar with the technicalities of the sensor’s wirings – better ask for a professional’s help.
It will not only save your time but it will also save you from the hassle of figuring out the issue.
With a professional garage door repairman,
A routine garage door maintenance will save you from costly or emergency garage door repairs.
While you’re leading a busy lifestyle, give precedence to your garage door’s necessities to avoid any disruptions in the future.
Entrust all your garage door problems to a trusted and experienced garage door repairman in Mississauga.
A reliable and functional garage door keeps you and your family safe from all types of illicit activities.
Don’t be vulnerable, give your garage door the preventive care it deserves.
Fast and Affordable Garage Door Repair Services in Mississauga
For technical support–the Silver Garage Door Repair team is at your service 24/7.
You can depend on us to come to your assistance at any time of the day.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call once your garage door shows some signs of broken parts or other components.
Preventing it from further damages will also keep your pockets from expensive garage door repairs later on.
Call us for a free estimate and we will make sure to provide you with the necessary details and proper costing on all your garage door repairs.