Table of Contents
A garage door is an essential part of a home that needs proper maintenance and care. When it comes to garage door maintenance, capping is an important aspect to consider. Garage door capping is the process of covering the wooden frame around the garage door with a thin layer of aluminum or vinyl. This layer protects the wooden frame from weather damage and extends the lifespan of the garage door.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about garage door capping, its benefits, installation process, and FAQs.
Benefits of Garage Door Capping
Capping offers several benefits that help to protect your garage door and the wooden frame.
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of garage door capping.
- Protection Against Weather Elements: The primary benefit of garage door capping is that it protects the wooden frame around the garage door from weather elements such as rain, snow, and wind. This protection prevents the wooden frame from rotting and cracking, which can lead to expensive repairs.
- Improved Aesthetics: Capping adds an extra layer to the garage door frame, which can improve the overall appearance of the door. Capping is available in different colors and finishes, allowing you to choose the one that best matches the exterior of your home.
- Longer Lifespan: Capping extends the lifespan of the garage door by protecting the wooden frame from damage. This protection ensures that the garage door lasts longer, reducing the need for expensive repairs and replacements.
- Lower Maintenance: Capping reduces the amount of maintenance required for the garage door frame. The thin layer of aluminum or vinyl requires little maintenance and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
How to Install Garage Door Capping
Capping can be installed by a professional or as a DIY project.
If you choose to install capping yourself, follow these steps:
- Prepare the Surface: Before installing the capping, clean and dry the wooden frame around the garage door.
- Measure and Cut the Capping: Measure the length and width of the wooden frame and cut the capping to fit. Make sure the capping overlaps the wooden frame by at least half an inch.
- Install the Capping: Place the capping on the wooden frame and secure it with adhesive or screws. If you are using adhesive, apply a thin layer to the back of the capping before placing it on the wooden frame.
- Finish the Installation: Once the capping is installed, seal the edges with silicone caulking to prevent moisture from entering.
It is recommended to hire a professional for capping installation. A professional installer has the necessary tools and expertise to ensure that the capping is installed correctly.
Can garage door capping be installed on any garage door?
Yes, Capping can be installed on any garage door. However, it is essential to ensure that the wooden frame around the garage door is in good condition before installing the capping.
How long does garage door capping last?
Garage door capping can last up to 20 years or more, depending on the quality of the material and the installation.
Is garage door capping expensive?
Capping is an affordable solution compared to other garage door repairs and replacements. The cost of capping installation depends on the size of the garage door and the material used.
People Also Ask Related Questions
How do I know if my garage door needs capping?
Look for signs of damage on the wooden frame around the garage door. If you notice cracks, rotting, or discoloration, it is an indication that the wooden frame needs protection. Garage door capping can prevent further damage and extend the lifespan of the garage door.
Can I install Capping myself?
Yes, capping can be installed as a DIY project. However, it is recommended to hire a professional installer to ensure that the capping is installed correctly.
What is the best material for garage door capping?
Garage door capping is available in different materials such as aluminum, vinyl, and PVC. Aluminum is a popular choice because it is durable, lightweight, and resistant to weather elements. Vinyl and PVC are affordable options that offer good protection but may not be as durable as aluminum.
Capping is an essential part of garage door maintenance that offers several benefits. It protects the wooden frame around the garage door from weather damage, improves the aesthetics of the door, and extends the lifespan of the garage door. Capping can be installed by a professional or as a DIY project, but it is recommended to hire a professional installer for the best results. Capping is an affordable solution that can save you money in the long run by reducing the need for expensive repairs and replacements. Protect your garage door today with garage door capping.